Search This Blog

7.21.2011

Birth Control Blog Carnival (fried dough not included)




So there's an online event today, the Birth Control Blog Carnival, to raise awareness for affordable family planning. I'd like to side-step from the IBD theme, and talk a little bit about birth control and why I support making it free.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure and TMI, I feel compelled to share my own troubles with various birth control methods. Condoms chafe me, lube burns me (even the sensitive kind), pills make me nuts, the ring made me suicidal and the IUD gave me a six-month long period. Despite my many personal issues with finding a safe, reliable method for my own preventive measures, I still support a woman's right to bodily autonomy and am proud to voice my support of the National Institute of Medicine's recommendation to make contraceptives free of charge.

I can't say what will work for you and what won't. As with all medications you should work in concert with a health professional to find what's right for you, but having the ability to explore those options at no cost makes doing so that much easier. Here are a few more reasons I back this:

- First off, not all birth control is for the sake of preventing pregnancy. Condoms can reduce the risk of contracting an STD, and hormonal pills are used for many other reasons such as acne, hormonal imbalances and severe menstrual pain. The latter is why I began taking the pill when I was still a virgin with no prospects of getting laid on the horizon. It also provided a small reassurance that were I to be raped pregnancy would be one less concern. I know that's really dark, but I'm a deeply paranoid person.

- Second, I believe in population control. If you happen to believe in the Christian bible, that's fine, but let me remind you the directive to "Be Fruitful and Multiply" was given when the world population was two. TWO. There are now far more children than there are loving families for them and that's a damn shame. Not all unplanned pregnancies end badly, but I'd say most unwanted pregnancies do.

-Third, I believe in free health care in general. Other developed countries have figured this out, why can't we? Americans aren't invincible. I never want to see a loved one suffer because they can't afford health care.

So those are my primary reasons for participating in the Birth Control Blog Carnival. If you support affordable family planning please join in. Post your own blog, Tweet with the #BCBC hashtag, and visit Planned Parenthood and the National Women's Law Center webpages.


Image Source: Another Wine Blog and Web MD

1 comment:

Maude said...

I feel that it's great that birth control and problems and issues relating to it is brought up. Thank you!